I’ve not read many books in 2018, but I have still managed to pull together some books for this list. When looking through my list of books read this year, I realised that there haven’t been many that I really loved. I am wondering if this is due to the fact that I’ve had a fairly slumpy year, or if the fact that I’ve read quite a few disappointing reads is the reason that I’ve actually been in a slump! Hopefully 2019 will be a much better reading year!
These five books were all disappointing for varying reasons.
- The Surface Breaks by Louise O’Neill – I was expecting a gorgeous story from this one, but ended up being quite disappointed. It was a feminist retelling of The Little Mermaid which I was excited to read but it just felt like it lacked so much.
- Leah on the Offbeat by Becky Albertalli – We’d already met the main character of this story in Simon so I was expecting to end up liking Leah more after reading her story but I just didn’t find her to be that likeable still.
- A Court of Frost and Starlight by Sarah J Maas – There is no link for a review for this one as I felt like it just wasn’t worth reviewing. I was excited for this book as it follows the events of A Court of Wings and Ruin but it seriously lacked any sort of storyline. It was more as a ‘Two months later’ kind of thing but it just didn’t add anything to the series.
- The Beast’s Heart by Leife Shallcross – This was a big disappointment. Riding off the back of the hype of Beauty and the Beast last year, I think this book may have come out in the wrong year for starters. This book was a big disappointment and I just found it difficult to get through.
- Hamilton and Peggy! by L. M. Elliott – I was so excited to read this one as I went to see Hamilton in London this year, so I was really in a Hamilton mood, but this was just so boring. I was intrigued to see how the story of Hamilton and Peggy would be told as there’s not much written or explored regarding their relationship, but this just did not capture my attention at all.
What was the most disappointing book you read this year?