Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January 2018. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together.
For this weeks Top Ten Tuesday, it was a slight freebie in that you get to pick 10 books from whatever your favourite genre is. When I joined the book community 5 years ago, I started with contemporary books but since then, I have branched into Fantasy, Historical and Mystery. Fantasy is probably my favourite genre of them all, but I am really loving mysteries at the moment and definitely think YA needs more of them.
Now that I’ve confessed to you that my favourite genre is Fantasy, here are my top ten favourite books from that genre.
Note: These aren’t in any particular order but the first four books are my top favourite fantasy books!
- Strange the Dreamer by Laini Taylor – This is probably one of my favourite books of all time. I read it at the end of 2018 because I am basically always late to the party but when I closed that last page, I just had to take a moment because I loved it so much.
- Caraval by Stephanie Garber – It’s not exactly a secret that I love this book or this series. I fell in love with this series as soon as it came out in January 2017. I devoured it and was eager for more straight away. If I could put this whole series on this list, I would but I won’t.
- Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo – Ok, I love this book. It’s fun and full of adventure and I am just here for it every single day of the week. I am yet to finish this duology so I’m planning to re-read this later this year before heading into Crooked Kingdom.
- Vicious by V. E. Schwab – Oh my god. Ok, I LOVED THIS BOOK. Another book that I read at the end of 2018/first day of 2019. Honestly, I ended and started my years right. If I can just get this book into as many hands as possible, I’ll be happy. It’s such a good book.
- The Priory of the Orange Tree by Samantha Shannon – This massive book just had to be on this list. Although I found the first half of it slightly slow, I found the second half to be full of action, adventure and it just had characters that I really loved.
- Girls of Paper and Fire by Natasha Ngan – Ok, I read this book when I was going through a bit of a slumpy stage which did affect my experience with this book a little book but I really enjoyed it. I thought it was such a good introduction to the characters and I’m really excited to read the next book in the series which is due out this year!
- Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas – I know and recognise that this book has a lot of problematic issues surrounding it but I wanted to include it on this list because when I picked it up a couple of years ago, I really did fall in love with it. I read them not long after I joined the book community and just tore through the first three books.
- The Wicked King by Holly Black – I read The Cruel Prince towards the end of 2018 and whilst I can recognise that the behaviour and treatment of people is awful, I also really enjoyed this book. I pre-ordered The Wicked King immediately. I think the only reason that I’ve included this book rather than the first one is because I felt like we really got to get to know the characters and the settings better.
- Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi – When I read this book, I fell in love with it. I was recommending it as much as I could and just absolutely loved it.
- Nevernight by Jay Kristoff – I’m hoping to re-read this one later this year but my gosh. I loved the footnotes included at the bottom and I loved Mia’s stab-stabby nature. I’m yet to read Godsgrave so will be rereading in preparation for that!
There are definitely more fantasy books out there that I enjoy and I know there are plenty that I still need to read which could become new favourites one day!
Do you see any of your favourite fantasy books on this list?