The first month of 2021 is done! January is OVER! Hip hip hooray!
January has to be one of my least favourite months ever, and whilst I’ve had tax return deadlines to work towards (yay…) which have taken my mind off things a little bit, I still don’t like it. It hasn’t been as bad this year in comparison to others where I feel a deep loathing for the month, but it’s still sucked.
Things That Happened This Month
- The UK went into it’s third lockdown and is anyone surprised? Nope…I honestly just can’t wait for all of this to be ‘over’. I know that we are all keen to get back to some sort of normal and to be able to see our friends and family again, so this lockdown is worth it for those things alone. I guess least it means more time for revision, which leads on to….
- I got my exam results back and I passed one of my exams but not the resit which is slightly gutting but we move on! I’ve begun revising for it again and am pretending that I know nothing so that when I relearn it all, I don’t skim over bits because ‘I already know this’. I won’t lie, I am feeling a bit unmotivated because this will be my third resit and I’m feeling down about it but it’s nobody else’s fault but mine that I failed and I am forcing myself to revise anyway because I want to pass this exam finally and get it out the way so that I can set the textbook on fire.
- It snowed again and so I went on an accidental 4 mile walk round the fields in and around our village, we miiiight have got a bit lost in a field and we discovered a wooded area that I didn’t know existed before. We also saw some horses (as seen in the header photo for this post). It was nice to get out in the snow and it also meant I could really test out the new earmuffs I got for Christmas which, yes, I am trying to give earmuffs the comeback they deserve.
Monthly Reading Total: 7 || Total Books Read In 2021: 7/52
Ahhh how sad it is to see that ‘Total Books Read’ figure drop from 80 down to 7. But, I suppose that does mean I have a full year of reading and books to look forward to!
7 books read is fairly decent amount. I wasn’t expecting to have read so much but I’m really glad I’ve managed to kick off 2021 well, especially as I have more exams this year, plus I am planning to move out too so I know I’ll be busy further into 2021. I’ve got to get all the reading in while I can!
- The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
- The Midnight Library by Matt Haig
- A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab
- Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo
- Loveboat, Taipei by Abigail Hing Wen
What I Actually Read:
- All I Want for Christmas by Beth Garrod
- The Upside of Falling by Alex Light
- Hot Dog Girl by Jennifer Dugan
- Seven Kinds of People you Find in Bookshops by Shaun Bythell
- The Upside of Unrequited by Becky Albertalli
- Loveboat, Taipei by Abigail Hing Wen
- Love is for Losers by Wibke Brueggemna
I had a month full of contemporary reads, which is funny, because a few months back I said I was a bit of a Seasonal reader, so for example, I associated Fantasy books more with Autumn/Winter and Contemporaries with Spring/Summer. But, I guess in the years of 2020 and 2021, everything has kind of gone out the window!
I have to say, I’ve not done too well with my TBR as I only read one book from it and that was Loveboat, Taipei however I did start The Night Circus. It’s taking me a little while to read it as I’m finding the writing to be beautiful but also very lyrical which isn’t quite my thing, but I can appreciate it for what it is.
- Bad Habits by Flynn Meaney
- A Pho Love Story by Loan Le
- The Poppy War by R.F. Kuang
- A Deadly Inside Scoop by Abby Collette
- The Poet X by Elizabeth Acevedo
- A Court of Silver Flames by Sarah J. Maas
Soooo a bit of an ambitious list for February considering I have an exam in a month, butttt we will just ignore that little fact for the moment. I wasn’t really sure what I wanted to read for this month, but I was accepted for A Pho Love Story on Netgalley in January so decided I wanted to read that, plus I’m on a blog tour for Bad Habits so that had to be on the list. I’m also planning to read The Poppy War by R.F. Kuang which I might look to start after A Court of Silver Flames but I’m not sure yet because you know, I have an exam and they’re both v. chonky books. Plus I want to read both A Deadly Inside Scoop and The Poet X before I get to these two books, so we’ll see if I even make it onto them!
How was your January? What books are on your TBR this month?